Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Saturday, June 24, 2006
 
Thanks AAA
I took the car to work yesterday. I normally drive the truck, of course to compensate for my inferiority complex and because I have lots of money and like to waste it on gasoline. And because I want to harm the environment and contribute to global warming. Yes, I've heard all those things before, and am guilty as charged. But yesterday morning when I was on my way out the door, I took a quick look at the truck fuel gauge and found it between "empty" and "positively empty." Since I didn't have time to stop for gas, I had to go with the car, even though it didn't exactly match my macho image. Ha!

Then on my way home I stopped by Circuit City to get a DVD for the dogs. As you probably know, the 2005 Best Movie of the Year, "Eight Below" is finally out on DVD. It's a true story about a bunch of husky dogs surviving in the Antarctica after their humans abandoned them for safety during a major storm, and featured Oscar-caliber performances by well-known star actors such as Max and Shadow. The dogs here have been talking about the movie for months and breathlessly anticipating its arrival on DVD. Their conclusion was that this was more than a "rent it" due to the tremendous replay value. They have been digging for coins and gold in the backyard, hoping to find enough to buy a plasma television for the doghouse. I kept telling them that it's a big waste of money getting a color TV to watch huskies in the snow -- black and white should work just fine -- but they reminded me that I was the one wasting money driving a truck. How do you argue with such dog logic? While in the store I was tempted to skip "Eight Below" and instead get them "Garfield the Movie," but decided to stay with the safe plan because the Garfield humor may be short-lived, and the dog bite marks will be much more permanent.

But I lost track. I came out of Circuit City, got in the car, backed it up and thought it wasn't driving right. Not just that it was a car, but it was going bump-bump-bump. I got out for a look, and found that the right front tire was flat, as flat as Dolly Parton is not. I was a bit upset, but thought, no problem, I just had to put on the spare. Then I looked in the trunk. First the spare was not a standard tire but one of those compact, training-wheel things. And there was no jack to be found. I checked again in the trunk, under the seats, inside the boxes with extra motor oil, but definitely no jack. Now I was really mad. Who in their right mind would take the jack out of a car? Well, I could think of a few, but mentioning them here would be as life-threatening as bringing home "Garfield the Movie."

Just then I remembered that I have AAA membership. Now I have to admit that joining AAA is one of the more sissy things I've done, but my excuse is that I travel a lot, and I like their maps. But I've never used them before. I found the AAA card and called the 800 number on my cell phone. An operator answered promptly, speaking more Hindu than English, but he was helpful, polite and seemed to understand the highway and street system perfectly well. He said that a truck would be over within an hour. In less than ten minutes, a tow truck pulled up. The driver got out and quickly swapped the tires, even made sure that the spare was pumped to the right pressure.. He was friendly and jovial, despite having to work on a Friday night when the rest of the world is starting their weekend. He looked thoroughly confused when I gave him a tip, but graciously accepted it. With that, he and I were on our ways.

At home, the dogs were glad to see me, and happier to watch their fellow movie stars on the DVD. And they were right. It was a great movie, even after they watched it the third straight time. I was happy too, that the entire flat-tire incident was so free of hassle and lasted no more than 30 minutes. So thanks Disney, thanks Max, thanks Shadow, and especially thank you AAA. And next time, I'll stick with the truck and make sure there is a jack in every car I drive.

Comments:
You should really be more careful when you're on an important mission like bringing home "Eight Below!"
 
I just hope the DVD is launched soon here in Brazil. Mum and I have not watched it yet!
Perhaps next time you take a sled: no need for jacks and more ecological friendly ;)
 
For some of us, we wouldn't know what to do with a "jack" if we had one. I'm not sure I'd recognize it if I see one. I am glad you have AAA. I use it quite frequently over here, and they are always helpful.
 
Yay, gasoline usage! (we'll send more oil, and even sell air for the tires, if you want it!)
 
Turbo,
I was so mad that day I almost threw the DVD away :)

Raisa,
Great idea. Around here, they would probably travel faster than cars.

Connecticut,
Time for an introduction. "Connecticut, meet Jack. Jack, Connecticut."

John,
The oil we want. Not sure about the air though. I hear your air is full of smoke.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top