Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Sunday, February 26, 2006
 
Siberian Huskies at the Movies
Dogs are going places. In case you haven't noticed, there is a movie out about Siberian Huskies doing typical Husky things, like thriving in brutal cold weather and being smart, strong and heroic. The movie, Eight Below, centers around sled dogs that have to fend for themselves in Antartica's frozen tundra when abandoned by a team of researchers during a severe storm. The "Eight" in the title refers to the eight canines in the movie, not the temperature which is probably minus 172, where Celsius and Fahrenheit no longer matter.

This magnificent tale of courage is based on a true story, and that shouldn't surprise anyone who knows dogs and huskies in particular. You are not going to find cats (ha!) even try to survive the California outdoors. Maybe penguins are tough, but all they do is march, then stand there all winter and breed. The amazing cast include six siberians and two malamutes, Maya, Shadow, Max, Dewey, Buck, Old Jack, Shorty and Truman, and a few human supporting actors... whose names I forgot, Jerry and Davis something. Fortunately people are mostly off the screen so the dogs can do their thing being charismatic and brave.

Eight Below was top dog at the box office last week and will probably stay there all year. The current competition is a romantic chick flick "Date Movie," a pathetic remake of "The Pink Panther" and a man-monkey story in "Curious George." If there is any justice in this world, Shadow should win Best Actor at the Oscars this year. After all, he combines the rugged looks of Clint Eastwood, the exotic charm of R2-D2 and the legs of Sharon Stone. All four of them, unshaved (Shadow, that is, not Sharon. I think).

Comments:
See, now no one ever feels bad if they leave a snowmachine behind. Actually, I've heard this was a pretty good movie, and that the dogs do rule the day.
 
Took the kids to see this movie last week. They loved it. Now they want huskies at home.
 
Hey Sharon shaves. I remember that from a movie, was it Fatal Attraction?
 
Hey woof,

A little off topic but I couldn't find your e-mail. I have travelled all the way to your home state and not too far from you and I would like to know where your sunshine is. I have been here for three days and all it has done is rain...actually pour.
 
I must see this film!!!!
And I must confess that I did not read the post until the end, because I didn't know if you tell the film there... hehehe!
The film has not arrived in Brazil yet...
 
John,
You should ready this story by Karen Ramstead: http://www.northwapiti.com/yukon/102105.html That's right, nobody cares about a machine.

Connecticut,
Obviously you have smart kids.

Mark,
I am still getting therapy after watching that movie.

Martin,
Sorry about the weather. I hope you liked today better. What you saw was the "Pineapple Express," a series of back-to-back storms coming from Hawaii that we get about every other year. It should be gone after this week.

Raisa,
I think it's safe to read. I listed the names of the dogs but otherwise there are no other details of the movie.
 
Wow, thanks for the review. It makes me want to take it in, assuming they'll let me in the door.
 
Hank,
Tell your people to wear an eye patch, and you can go in as a seeing-eye dog. Just be sure you don't bark during the movie.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top