Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Saturday, March 11, 2006
 
A Canine Tribute
It's well known that dogs get no respect. Shadow didn't receive the Oscar for Best Actor this year, and Chevy didn't win gold at the Torino Olympics. What a travesty! It's a vast human conspiracy. I strongly demand an independent investigation commission.

Last year the newspaper USA Today ran a series on the top ten worst jobs in sports -- "worst" as in toughest and most under-appreciated, and coming in at No 5 wasn't Bode Miller, but it was the Iditarod sled dog. I bring this up because we are entering the second week of Iditarod 2006, and these canine athletes deserve a lot more recognition and press than Barry Bonds and similar flops have been getting.












A few supporting facts: For this race, a dog and 15 of his buddies have to pull a sled and musher over 1100 miles of Alaska wilderness from Anchorage to Nome, through steep mountain climbs, frozen rivers and open sea ice. They endure the most extreme conditions -- this year's weather features mostly sub-10 to sub-40 degree temperatures in the interior of Alaska, and they wear nothing but their own fur and an occasional bootie. The top teams run at 14 miles per hour, certainly no less than 7-8 mph in the most difficult sections, faster than some people travel on a bicycle. If recent trends are any indication, the winners will likely make the trek in less than 10 days, reaching Nome sometime on Tuesday. Even the slowest team will complete it in about 14 days if they don't scratch.

So I would say that USA Today got it almost right. Except that the Iditarod dog should be number 1 among tough athletes, but we won't quibble. But everyone who reads this should take the opportunity to give your doggies, big and small, couch potatoes and active huskies like me, an extra biscuit (with a generous dollop of Cheez-It on top), and a good dose of ear and belly rub tonight. If you don't, I swear, I'll sic Bode on you.

Comments:
Ah, the power of Cheez-Its! My human wears a fleece vest with the logo of the North Wapiti team each year during the Iditarod to support the Siberian husky team of Karen Ramstead.
 
Turbo,
Yes, Cheez-It :drool: What do they put in there that is so addictive? I also follow the North Wapiti team. They do have "pretty sled dogs."
 
I am sold. I must get Cheez-It for my dogs. I know they love sliced cheese, but Cheez-It? I assume you know it best Woofwoof!
 
My husky is lazy. Does that mean I can skip the Cheez-It?
 
Connecticut,
Cheez-It is a tool of the Devil, the cocaine of the canine world. Simply irresistible.

John,
Ye of the fancy snow machine. You are hardly Nanook of the North yourself. Stop blaming the poor dog. Sheesh, is there no end to the blog abuse a dog must put up with for a belly rub and a bit of Cheez-It?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top