Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Saturday, June 03, 2006
 
Naked Revisited
Unlike many eco-terrorists such as, ahem... Alaskans, the Japanese seem to have taken this global warming business very seriously. In April 2005, the government started a "Cool Biz" campaign to encourage office workers to ditch their suits and ties and wear short-sleeve shirts to work. The concept is that the cooler attire will let people feel more comfortable in the hot and humid climate of Japan summers, and allow building owners to raise air conditioning settings to 82 F. That will reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, so there is more oil left for people to buy and drive more Toyotas and Nissans. Which creates more work for car salesmen and auto mechanics, and therefore makes all of us happier. I don't know why, but you know it's true.

Then in August a tree-hugging group kicked off a "Water Scattering" operation to urge urban business and home owners to wet areas in front of their buildings and houses, also with the aim to reduce overall city temperatures and make the warm weather more bearable without air conditioning. Their reasoning was that if it's too hot, you take a shower, and that idea applies to cities too. Sidewalks need a good drenching periodically to stay cool.

Buoyed by all that success. the government came back in October with a new promotion they called, naturally, "Warm Biz," asking people to dress in layered clothing and wear sweaters in the autumn and winter, so indoors temperatures can be cut to 68 F without sacrificing comfort. The environmentalists were all excited until more people started wearing furs made from endangered Sumatra mountain raccoons (I know you've never heard of them. but that's just the point. They are indeed a very rare and endangered species. Almost non-existent).

I was not happy because they rejected a superb idea I submitted. My proposal was to simply use the Celsius system in the summer and Fahrenheit in the winter. 28 C sounds a lot cooler than 82 F in July and 68 F somehow seems warmer than 20 C in December. It's just an illusion, but isn't that exactly the business of government, making us feel good, just like Britney Spears?

But, that was last year. The new theme for staying cool this year is loincloths. I kid you not. An upscale, very traditional department store in Tokyo called Mitsukoshi, is advertising sumo-style loincloths as the preferred attire for men in the hot summer months ahead. Their claim is that loincloths provide "good ventilation" and "less constrained movement." How do you argue with that? Clearly cavemen were way ahead of their time. Click on the picture above to observe movement. To boost their popularity, the store is now offering loincloths patterned with polka dots, little goldfish and of course, for the man who has everything, fireworks. The only thing missing so far is Britney wearing one, and then my life will be complete.
Comments:
An excuse for the japanese
to wear what really is the
first mini skirt.lol
Stop by for a visit.
 
Why did I click on that picture? I saw movement!
 
Michele,
Any reason to wear a mini skirt is a good reason. Except when it comes to men. I like your site. Funny stories.

Chris,
Oh you should shouldn't have pushed the activator button.
 
I have to repeat "Men!!!" Why is it that you want to go naked everywhere.

And thanks to Chris for the warning. I didn't click. Mybe I'll sneak a peek later :o)
 
How'dja do. I just joined up on this "Dogs With Blogs" thing and saw your picture. Oh, if I could make just ONE wish it would be to grow up and be as big and beautiful as you are. I'm destined to weigh in the vicinity of 6 pounds, and not be any taller than maybe 24" IF I stand on my tippy-toes.

You're welcome to come read my blog too, if you like.

Best wishes,

Mary-Margaret O'Brien
 
For the record, it's been hours since I last despoiled an ecosystem. Hours!
 
Connecticut,
Come on, live a little. Just one liiiiitle click. I know you want to. You know you want to...

Mary-Margaret,
Thanks for visiting. I'll stop by.

John,
Have you upset any moose lately?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top