Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Sunday, January 15, 2006
 
Mother-In-Law Nature
It's raining again today, and I think there is enough evidence to declare that this 2005-06 winter weather sucks. That is according to the official definition of "sucks," as opposed to "blows" and other advanced meteorological concepts. Oh I know it's only mid-January, and it's nowhere nearly as wet here as in Seattle (27 straight days of rain and counting), or Ketchikan, Alaska (over 200 inches of rain in a year). And I know there are places in Texas, Colorado and Oklahoma that are suffering from drought and fire, and can only wish they had some of our water.

But we live in California, and we pay for the privilege of perfect weather, 75 degrees and vast cloudless blue skies supposedly year round. Water should come only in aqueducts and plastic bottles. Or in the form of snow, something a dog can play in. It's pathetic to watch dogs tiptoe on the grass to find a relatively dry spot to poop (it's always drier on the other side of the fence, I tell them, especially under the neighbor's porch).

Every weekend for the past month, I've had to clean leaves out of the gutters (this is where the "weather blows" part comes in). And pick up dozens of palm fronds scattered on the lawn (fronds are those gigantic leaves of palm trees). Now one thing about palm trees. Perhaps they do capture the warm beauty of California, elegantly gracing Hollywood Boulevard, but that's from a distance. Up close they are as ugly and droopy as an actress without make-up, especially when they are planted in postage stamp gardens as found in most new homes around here. All you see is the huge tree trunk, and the swaying fronds are a hundred feet up out of sight, big and clumsy and ready to drop each time a strong wind blows. Palm trees officially suck.

The only good thing I can find in all this messy weather is that although it's been raining cats and dogs, I haven't seen any felines dropping in on my house. Yet.

Comments:
We were in Los Angeles one time when a plam frond fell on our car and put a dent on the hood (Fortunately, it was a rental car). Yes, those things are surprisingly big and heavy.
 
My only question is how well palm would burn. But, that's silly, since there are no palms here, and if there were, I wouldn't need to burn them.

But I'm still curious.
 
Connecticut,
Very true. These things can really hurt if they fall on you. They are hard and have sharp edges. Pure evil.

John,
I've tried to burn them but they smoke very badly. They don't burn like dry wood at all. Did I mention I don't like palm trees?
 
What type of a climate pattern do we see with an El Niño?
The climate pattern can change the weather of the United States, particularly in California and the southern states. Usually, El Niño brings more rain and higher temperatures. Also, warm ocean currents come farther north and all kinds of tropical fish can be caught in the waters far north along the United States West Coast. El Niño may also bring warmer than normal winter temperatures to the eastern part of the United States.

What is La Niña?
La Niña is sort of the opposite of El Niño. During a La Niña, the water in the same area along the equator gets colder than usual. This, too, affects weather around the globe and in the U.S. According to scientists, La Niña cycles generally create a more active hurricane season in the Atlantic.Here the weather has been 50+ and its surpose to be winter.it should be aroud 29% and snow on the ground, The birds here
are very comfused
 
In my town in Brazil we had a whole week of temperatures around 106ºF. My humans and I are not enjoying the heat and we are praying for some rain.
Perhaps we could make a deal: you come to Brazil and we go to California for a 2 weeks vacation ;)
 
Ah! I almost forgot! I like your blog quite a lot, so I linked it to my blog. I hope you do not mind about it?
 
Raisa,
An international husky guest! Great to have you. Your site has nice pictures, but too bad I don't understand Portuguese. I assume you understand "woof language," right?

106F is tough on a husky. You can definitely come here during your summer, and I'll go there during my summer.
 
Hi again Woof!
Of course I understand Woof language. I am a polyglot husky: I can speak Portuguese, English and Woof languages.
I have plans of putting a link to an English version of my blog, but at the moment my humans are quite busy. My dogfriend Donna is quite ill and she needs lots of attention these days.
Kind licks!
Raisa
 
Raisa,
You are one smart dog. The husky woof dialect is especially hard, more expressive than regular woof but a lot harder to master.
 
Woof!
In order to overcome the language barrier, I started to write a brief of my blog's posts in English. I hope you enjoy it :)
I have a human translator slave to help me on it!
Take care,
Raisa
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top