Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Saturday, January 14, 2006
 
Doggie Heaven
2006 being Year of the Dog, I've been wishing for, among other things, fire hydrants every quarter mile. When dogs have to go, dogs have to go. I never really thought that would come true, since fire hydrants have been disappearing faster than rotary phones and highway call boxes, or clothing off Paris Hilton.

Yesterday on my way to work I drove past an industrial park where they were putting down new concrete sidewalks. It was difficult to believe but along several streets, there had to be new fire hydrants no further than every 200 feet. A good part of the area was still empty land or unoccupied buildings, and it was hard to imagine a reason for so many hydrants. Maybe someone forgot to tell us that our canine petition has been granted.

No matter what, it was a beautiful sight to behold. Row upon row of bright yellow fire hydrants so inviting that I thought of getting out of the car to christen them. This one is for Rover, that one is for Max, and KalKan after that, and the rest is mine, all mine mine mine.

Comments:
Ah, must be a beautiful sight. Like a holiday wish come true.
 
Dog nirvana. But, from my observation, it seems like the one that gets the first attention will get everyone's attention . . . at -25F, it just freezes, and stays there. All winter. Sigh
 
Cool! You HAVE to christen some of them! What an opportunity!

I prefer to pee on the "Pick up your pet's poop" signs in our neighborhood.
 
Wow...I just stumbled across your blog.

I had to read this post out loud to my 8pack while they nap on the bed and sofas, tuckered out from a day of fun play.

They all started drooling simultaneously...

There are no real fire hydrants here in the woods, they remind me with darting glances. (Or perhaps that's just the voices in my head again?)

Perhaps it is time for a road trip.
 
Hank,
Too bad this was in an industrial park area. I didn't see any dogs there. Such a waste.

John,
It's like tree rings. How many layers of frozen dog pee does the fire hydrant have?

Indy,
No pet poop sign here. The sign seems more unsightly than the poop itself. It's like painting on a wall "Do not post here."

Sue,
I'll take trees over fire hydrants any day. And the snow is fun to write on.
 
Come to think of it, you are right. We don't have as many fire hydrants as we used to. But then I don't think of hydrants as often as you do. Men. Dogs. Sigh.
 
Connecticut,
That's true. Men and dogs worry mostly about very basic needs. Things like borax to kill ants and fire hydrants to pee on.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top