Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Sunday, January 08, 2006
 
Biggest sale EVER
In April I wrote about a store in Fremont, CA (about 10 miles from San Jose) that was shrinking by half. Normally that wouldn't be big news, but Tri-City claimed at one time to be the largest sporting goods store in the world -- there was a sign outside the store saying so, so it must be true. They occupied two large buildings side by side, a total of 200,000 sq ft or about four football fields, and they were definitely big. They sold all sorts of things, for popular American sports like football, baseball and basketball, but also for sports played more commonly in European and Asian countries, like ping-pong, badminton and in-line skating. I looked there once, but there was nothing for dog sledding. Maybe that was their biggest problem.

A few years ago they added patio furniture and garden furnishings such as large water fountains to the business, and their web site logo was changed to "World's Largest Sporting Goods and Patio Furniture Store." They could be the only such store anywhere, but why argue. In April, they dropped out of the furniture business, and closed one of the buildings which was promptly demolished to make room for some other construction which is still continuing today. At that time the sign at the entrance was shortened to simply "Tri-City." I didn't go in but as far as I knew, they could be selling Chinese take-out food inside.

I drove by the store yesterday, and there was a new big sign this time, "Sale - Going Out Of Business." It didn't say, but I wonder if it's the world's biggest sale. I'll have to come back and snap a few pictures -- I mean, how often do you get to witness such a momentous event?

I am worried for Fremont's reputation now. This store was one of Fremont's few claims to fame, the other claims being that figure skating champion Kristi Yamaguchi grew up there, and that the city was designated the healthiest city in the US by a men's health magazine a few years ago. Hardly exciting stuff. I am thinking that somebody should go there and open the World's Largest Cuckoo Clock and Garden Fertilizer Store. It doesn't need to be very big, but I bet it's never been done before.

Comments:
We have a large sports store out here and it is usually mostly empty. More sales staff than customers. Seems like it'll be out of business soon.
 
I was searching for their store ads. Any idea what the discount % is? Thx
 
I used to live in Fremont and I can't believe Tri City is even still there...

Ahh, the memories.
 
Connecticut,
I am not surprised. I buy most of my sports stuff through the web now.

XT199,
I haven't gone into the store. The parking lot was full last weekend, so either the discount was very good, or people just wanted to see the end of an era.

Miklos,
They seem to have been around for a long time. But unfortunately not much longer.
 
I personally would like a handgun, hardware and beer store. That would rock.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top