Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Sunday, December 11, 2005
 
Extreme Multitasking
It was bound to happen sooner or later. We already have the musical toilet, so the computer toilet can't be far behind. Many Americans are now surfing from the bathroom, according to a study led by Dr. Jeffrey Cole of the Annenberg School Center for the Digital Future at the University of Southern California. It's impressive how deep these social scientists go in their quest for knowledge. They found that over half of those who use Wi-Fi at home have used it in the bathroom. It's all because of increased availability of broadband and wireless connections, they said.

It's amazing how technology has rapidly transformed home life, and taken away the few precious moments of personal reading and quiet contemplation people have left. The toilet is no longer the place to finish yesterday's newspapers or the latest Tom Clancy novel, but increasingly to download Madonna songs onto iPods or get caught up on blogs.

At least that's how people responded. My guess is that in truth, a much higher percentage of bathroom use of computers by teenagers goes to "medical research," no different today than in the past twenty years -- only the format has changed. But they will be disappointed one of these days if they should run out of toilet paper. Magazines are a much better back-up than a laptop screen.

For the record, this blog was written for your enjoyment from a clean desk in a living room. The television was on, but there was no Madonna, no Britney Spears and no Ty-D-Bowl Man involved.

Comments:
What is this fascination with toilets? :) The comment on "medical research" cracked me up. Men!
 
Yeah, you DO talk about toilets a lot in your posts WoofWoof!

My mom used to work at a HelpDesk, and she said that sometimes people would call and suddenly you would hear a toilet flush...she said it happened more often than people would think!
 
Hmmm. Yet another excuse for people to stay on the john. Get off, already! A dog's got to drink!
 
Connecticut, Indy,
Well we are dogs, and the few things we do are eat, sleep, play and poop, so of course we talk a lot about toilets. Oh, and can you rub my belly while we talk?

Hank,
Oh yeah I forgot. We drink too. And blog.
 
Good point WoofWoof. My parents are also obsessed with my poo. Okay, so I've had some...digestive issues over the past year, but jeez! Every time we come back from a walk, it's "Did he poo? How much? Was it runny? Did he strain? Does he seem constipated?" GOOD LORD PEOPLE!

My mom just took me out for a walk. I was doing my business, and she says "Indy...why is your poo green?"
 
My mother in law told me that dogs like to drink out of the toilet. She said the water was cooler. Then it occured to me, "How does she know?"
 
Indy,
Poor you. These humans just have no respect for dog privacy.

Rikiya,
Technology anywhere else in the home is OK, But the toilet should be reserved for more basic activities, like thinking about the meaning of life, writing haiku, stuff like that.

John,
I don't know how your mother-in-law knows. All I can say is that she is absolutely right. "Could be the first time ever." But I didn't say that.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top