Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Sunday, November 06, 2005
 
That will be $20.02 please
Amazon is preparing to launch next year a wholly new way of selling books. The program "Amazon Pages" will allow customers to purchase online access to books in digital increments -- one chapter, one section, or even one page at a time. You could, of course, still buy entire books in digital or printed form as you do today.

Amazon and a few other companies have already been offering electronic books but until now, there was no option to buy only portions of the documents. With this new capability, I suppose one day we will be able to call up a single sentence or phrase, or as they do on Wheel of Fortune, a single vowel per order. It might take a while and cost you a bundle to get through the complete works of Shakespeare, but you know it will be worth it. Just ask any English Literature graduate working at your neighborhood McDonald's.

But it doesn't have to stop at books. What about blogs? I imagine we should charge people for reading blogs too, especially the good, interesting and enlightening blogs (like this one). It doesn't need to be much, just a little something, enough to offer a cup of Starbucks to a sleepy blog writer on a cold Sunday morning. Anyway, that's my two cents. But, you see that nice picture up there? Since it's really worth a thousand words...

Comments:
I'll gladly pay to read your blog. You should set up a Paypal account :-) As for Shakespeare, I'll just get the Cliff Notes.
 
Who reads the complete works of Shakespeare anyway? Shouldn't cost me more than $1.
 
Hey, I've already offered a beer. Now you want coffee, too?
 
I just can't get out of my head this vision of Vanna White giving us Macbeth one letter at a time.
 
John,
For my blog, I want beer, coffee and sushi. More on sushi in my next post.

Jeff,
I agree. It's hard to do Macbeth on five vowels and three consonants.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top