Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Sunday, October 30, 2005
 
What's wrong with these people?
I spent four days this week in Portland, Oregon, nicknamed the City of Roses. There must be something about the Northwest character since I see the same things in Seattle. Both cities are clean, and the people are nice.

City vehicles are painted with the logo "Portland - The City that Works", and I believe them. At the airport, wi-fi is available and free, not just around the major waiting areas, but even in the furthest and smallest terminals. You just pop open the laptop computer, and there it is, no password, no fee, no log-in. A light rail called the Max runs from one end of the city to the other, fast, cheap and convenient. In the morning, trucks power-clean streets and sidewalks throughout the downtown area. The only garbage I saw were plastic bags that blew out of a dumpster one windy evening, and a passer-by stooped down, picked up the bags and placed them back in the trash. And closed the container lid before he walked away.

The best part was that people were friendly and polite. I went out jogging one early morning, and just about everyone I ran into had a cheerful "Good Morning". Total strangers out in the streets at 5 in the morning are often the seedy and undesirable kind in any other city, the ones you look away from, the ones you cross the street to avoid, but not here. It took some getting used to, but it was a refreshing change. At the hotel, they put a big fluffy teddy bear on the bed for you to hug at night.

Only at the airport on my return flight did things go back to normal. There was the usual grumbling when the plane was late, and the sharp elbowing on the way to the gate. Because many of these people were carrying umbrellas (it was Portland weather after all), the pushing became extra lethal. On the plane, one guy was trying to shove a backpack the size of a body bag under the seat in front of him when the overhead compartment was full, and when that failed, he tried to put the bag in the small vestibule in the back of the plane and cursed at the flight attendant when she wouldn't let him. Come to think of it, he was probably a Californian going back to California. I know the type only too well. I see them every day on my commute.

Comments:
I don't know. I think Californians are nice and friendly compared to East Coast people... like my neighbors.
 
Connecticut,
I agree. In my experience, Californians tend to be friendlier and more outgoing than East Coast folks, but that's nothing next to people from the Northwest. They seem almost too nice.
 
Heh, don't be fooled. Microsoft and HP have filled Seattle and Portland with Stepford People.

Actually, I'm not sure what defines the character of a place, I've lived in places that were very unfriendly, and some (like Fairbanks) where there aren't many strangers at all . . .
 
Portland is a mighty cool place. Great for dogs. I've visited. If only the job market were a little better.
 
Hello Woofwoof,
I've been enjoying your blog.Forgive my sudden comment because I've just arrived in SF today.I've been in LA to visit my friend for 5days. Yes,I am now on the trip to the CA. I am writing this at Green Tortoise Hostel in SF. I will be in SF till 8th of Nov. morning, and I will visit Yosemite National Park tomorrow morning as a daytrip.So What else...? What else I should to see in SF? or surround SF area? If you have any infomation, it would be help. I am really surprised that the costume or clothing people wear. SF people is just like NY, people in black. but they both are so friendly to me. And Slso I am surprised about the gabbage in the US. Nobody try to categorize it. I was shocked about it. And it was funny to see the TV-Commercial of Recycle on the air. Rock band's singing the heavymetal song about Recycle. That was funny.
 
John,
Stepford wives :drool:

Hank,
Dogs love Portland. Many trees :)

Taji-san,
I left my phone number at your hotel. When you get back from Yosemite, please call me.
 
Lethal umbrellas? Now that's funny.
 
Thanks for the reply, Woofwoof,

I came back from Yosemite 1hour ago. Past midnight. I asked the hostel clark about your message,but he said that nobody tel-number left.So I would love to call you,but I can't. Will you leave your number to my hotmail account (htaji@hotmail.com) so that I can check at pc in the hostel. Though there's quite difficulties to communicate with your language...,but at least I would like to say simple word,Hi or something.

Hiromi Taji in SF
 
Taji-san,
Just sent you an email. Please check.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top