Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Sunday, September 25, 2005
 
Looking presidential
It's tough to be President these days. It's hard work, very hard work, lots and lots of hard, hard, hard work. After the Katrina debacle, Bush wanted to be seen as a hands-on, in-charge leader, so he scheduled a trip to San Antonio on Friday afternoon to show that he was personally overseeing the federal government's preparations for hurricane Rita. Nothing like a disaster to recover from another disaster. Plus in his mind Rita was probably lovelier than Katrina, who sounds too much like a Russian communist ballerina. Or a James Bond spy. In either case, not enough family values.

But minutes before he was due to depart Washington D.C., the White House cancelled the stop in San Antonio and redirected the trip straight to Colorado Springs where the President could monitor the hurricane from headquarters of the Northern Command. From inside safe bunkers he could watch for enemy missiles as well as listen to the wind howling. The official explanation was that the search-and-rescue team in San Antonio was packing up to move closer to where the hurricane would strike, and he didn't want to get in their way. Unofficially, aides acknowledged that the real reason was that on Friday it was too sunny in San Antonio. It was difficult to show television viewers that the President was dealing with an approaching hurricane when the background was so bright and sunny. God forbid, some people might again think that he was on vacation while a city was drowning. This time, he'll be the storm chaser president.

It's been a tough few weeks for the President. First there was Katrina. Then ten days ago while he was listening to speeches at the United Nations in New York, a nosy photographer with a powerful zoom lens caught him writing a note to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice: "I think I may need a bathroom break. Is it possible...?" And he forgot to say Please.

Comments:
Oh gee thanks. Now I feel so much better about our President. I hope he didn't wet his pants at the UN.
 
We have another month to go in hurricane season. Chasing these storms is tiring business. Poor guy! Brownie screwed up, and now he's got a big mess to clean up.
 
Yeah. Once I thought I wanted that job (give me a break, I was an idealistic kid). But now, no. Geopolitics, geology, weather, and finally biology. Hell, he gets it all. Much better to be us, woof.
 
Storm chasing? Hahaha I have this image of Bush and his presidential motorcade running around in Louisianna and Texas looking for hurricanes. Ooh ooh I see it, to your left, wait it just drifted to the right, faster, faster, hurray I caught it. Just sad for this country.
 
Connecticut,
The news story was that he did get permission from Condi and took his break. Those silly speeches are boring anyway.

Jake,
Please no more huricanes. I'm getting sick of them, and the only effect I feel is the higher price of gas. I feel sorry for those people in the Gulf states. Two months of non-stop worry.

John,
What do I know. I'm a dog and I run around naked all day. Life is definitely good.

Anon,
I hear you. Being busy is hard, looking busy is harder.
 
I think we can all agree that Bush is dumb.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top