Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Wednesday, September 21, 2005
 
It's all downhill from here
Yesterday was one of the most depressing days I've had in a while. I had to be at work early so I left the house at 6:15 am. It was still pitch dark outside, and there was a cold and damp wind blowing. On the highway the construction crews were late in picking up the cones, so I arrived 15 minutes late despite leaving 15 minutes early. Then in the afternoon as I was coming back from a late lunch, it began pouring -- it's been so long since our last rain that I started believing that water came only in plastic bottles. And the rain was accompanied by fierce thunder and lightning. Just like that, in the middle of September, and in the middle of California. With that weather, I thought I might as well move to Idaho or New Jersey.

I got home late, grabbed an apple and was going to wash it at the kitchen sink. When I turned on the faucet, it started hissing, then began to spit out bursts of dirty water interrupted by jets of rust particles. A kind of liquid snap-crackle-pop. It went on like that for several minutes. Apparently water pressure was lost earlier in the day, and the line was filled with air, and it took a while to purge it all out. I had to go through the house and let every faucet flow for a good five minutes, even the toilet tanks, before the water cleared.

I checked the calendar again, and sure enough it was only Tuesday. I don't know how I'm going to make it through the rest of the week.

Comments:
I love fall. The best season of the year. Falling leaves, cool weather, but not too cold yet. I miss only the long daylight hours.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top