Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Sunday, August 07, 2005
 
Don't follow my nose
I got home late Friday might and there was a terrible, putrid odor coming from behind the dishwasher. I sniffed around the space between the dishwasher and the stove and sure enough, the smell was coming from there. I thought, oh great, Saddam Hussein stashed his rat poison in my kitchen and now I have to deal with a dead rodent.

I remembered the engineering principle "Do No Harm," cited so often by NASA recently whenever they discussed the space shuttle Discovery (actually I don't know any self-respecting engineer who thinks that way; usually it's "Tweak til it breaks" but that's another story). But then I thought about having to move the dishwasher and tangle with the mess of hoses behind it, and decided that NASA was probably right. Let the rat dry out. Eventually the smell will disappear.

I woke up yesterday and the stink was now ten times deadlier, and was all over the house. I pulled the washer out -- fortunately it was on wheels and surprisingly light. I found all sorts of evil and ugliness behind it, one dime and two nickels, and a large doggie biscuit probably five years old. But no WMD, no Jimmy Hoffa, no Elvis, and most importantly, no rat. I wiped the spot clean, checked behind the stove but still no rat. And the smell was just as strong as ever. This was puzzling but not worthy of more time. I sprayed the area with enough Lysol to make it smell like a fresh carwash and left.

To make a long story short, I discovered this morning where the smell was from. I was making myself a bowl of cereal (while pinching my nose because the Lysol had dissipated but not the rat odor). There was a large tomato on the counter that I bought a week ago. I picked it up to move it out of the way and it suddenly burst into a nasty stream of stinky tomato juice all over me, like a balloon, all rotten inside but skin still intact. The rest of it went splat in my hand. And it smelled gross as a dead rat, only a thousand times more concentrated. I stayed in the shower for a good fifteen minutes and used as much soap and shampoo as I could, but the feel of rotten tomato is still overwhelming. I think I'll go bathe in Lysol now. And if that doesn't work, I'll stab myself in the nose.

Comments:
What is it with you men? Lysol and duct tape to fix everything.
 
Guilty as charged. Most of the time they work too. But they are no match for the Lethal Tomato.
 
Lysol, duct tape, and time. Most things, if you can ignore, just go away. (And all things, given enough time) Don't think anyone could ignore this. I know they use tomato to get rid of skunk smell. Do you use skunk smell to get rid of tomato?
 
Seems like you had your own Little Shop of Horrors mixed with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. You should move out as quickly as possible.
 
Rinse it with vinegar. That should take the smell away. If not, you have a good salad dressing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top