Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Sunday, July 24, 2005
 
Superman
Lance Armstrong won his seventh consecutive Tour de France today, leading the pack by a comfortable margin just as he did in many past years. After all this time I still found it exciting to watch him during yesrterday's individual time trials. He was dancing on the pedals, fast, effortless and graceful as always, and again was wearing the yellow jersey at the end of the day. He seemed to have been born wearing it.



It may be hard to imagine the magnitude of his conquest, but let's start with the basic stats: 2242 miles in 21 days in sun-baked July. On flat stages, average speed is over 30 miles per hour. But perhaps nothing put things in perspective better than stage 15 through the Pyrenees mountains, probably the toughest ride of the Tour: a relentless 128-mile-long, 1-mile up route that includes five huge climbs and descents followed by one steep uphill finish. My hair hurts just thinking about it. His overall speed? 21 mph, faster than we travel by car sometimes.


Stage 15. Test of endurance and mental toughness. Click on picture for scary details


Up and down the mountains. A perfect man-machine combination

Happy retirement, Lance, and may your legs rest happily ever after.
Comments:
Woof,
I don't think that guy will ever rest. Too much Lance to him. I just worry about whatever he takes on next.
-John
 
I usually don't follow cycling, but it's hard not to get caught up in Armstrong's story. To win seven consecutive championships in any sport, despite cancer, has got to be a most incredible feat.
 
John,
He hasn't said what he will do after retirement. At least he didn't say he was going to Disneyland. I admire him as an athlete. I do a fair amount of cycling (non-competitive) and I would be happy to have a quarter of his strength and endurance.
 
Yeah, I bike to and from work from time to time. Fun, but my top speed most days is below his average, and it would take me like 140 days to get to 2000 miles . . . simply amazing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top