Chin Yui Yat Sang (Theme song from the movie "The Killer" (1989) directed by John Woo) - Sally Yeh
If dogs could speak...
Sunday, June 12, 2005
 
Baby Can't Fly
I was working on the computer last week when suddenly I heard a loud thud against the window. I looked and saw nothing on the window. I went out to the backyard and found on the ground a small blue bird, obviously hurt. It appeared that the bird had flown straight into the glass window and injured his wings. He was able to hobble around but couldn't lift himself off the ground. He must have been one of the baby birds that hatched in one of my planters back in April and flew away on Mother's Day. I looked around and didn't see Mom or Dad. Baby was brave and wasn't really afraid of me.

For about a week I have been nursing the little bird back to health (He was way too small for a proper barbeque.) I made a small cage for him out of a cardboard box and lined it with shredded newspaper, and gave him water and some multi-colored birdseed I got from the pet store. He ate quite a lot for such a skinny thing. I remembered that the chicks made quite a racket with Mom around right after they hatched, but this time he was quiet and quite content settling back into his new nest. The past two days he has been well enough to hop around but still couldn't fly, so he moved about purposefully more like a flightless chicken than a graceful bluebird.

The little guy flew away last night. I looked for him this morning but couldn't find him. No goodbye note, no Dear-John letter, but I knew he was back among his kind, exploring the vast skies and tall trees above us all. Take care Birdie, fly high and free, and watch out for glass in your travels.



Comments:
That made me smile on a Sunday morning. Thanks.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Back to Top